Mar 15, 2007

celiac disease

I have just been diagnosed with celiac disease: "What Happens With Celiac Disease: When individuals with CD ingest gluten, the villi, tiny hair-like projections in the small intestine that absorb nutrients from food, are damaged. This is due to an immunological reaction to gluten. Damaged villi do not effectively absorb basic nutrients -- proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, minerals, and, in some cases, water and bile salts. If CD is left untreated, damage to the small bowel can be chronic and life threatening, causing an increased risk of associated disorders -- both nutritional and immune related."
This is the third time in less than five years that I have been diagnosed with a serious, chronic illness for which there is no cure and that requires a lifetime of vigilant maintenance. I feel just like I did when I first got sober: sad, angry, lonely, grief-stricken, afraid...it feels so unfair because I feel as though I have already given up so much.
I have always been the odd one out, and now I have evn one more strike against me. Excuse me while I feel sorry for myself.

No comments: