Apr 6, 2007

Rufus, R.I.P.


Last night I made the very sad and horrible decision to euthanize my beloved cat Rufus. Thankfully my mom and my sister were there with me. As some of you know he has been struggling with various health problems for the past couple of years. First he was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, then liver disease, then Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart) and finally kidney disease. He was very ill twice last year and somehow miraculously pulled through both times. Unfortunately this week he was just too sick. I did everything I could to save him including acupuncture, Chinese herbs, syringe feeding, subcutaneous fluids and tube feeding but he continued to get worse, not better. I decided that he didn't need to suffer any longer and I really believe Rufus made the decision for me.
Rufus has been my very special companion for over twelve years, I have never known a cat like him. He really thought he was a dog, I even called him "Puppy-Kitty." He would even sit for a treat, thankfully I captured it on video before he got ill. My friend Mary said that even though she doesn't believe in reincarnation, she thinks Rufus will come back as a dog.


Please say a little prayer that his little Puppy-Kitty spirit is being taken care of.

No comments: