Jul 21, 2006

step nine

Early Tuesday morning I got a voicemail from my ex-boyfriend The Musician. When I say "ex" I mean we broke up about six years ago. When I say broke up I mean he dumped me at the end of a birthday party I had thrown him during which he introduced me to the girl that he was presumably dumping me for. He never admitted that's why he was dumping me but come on, this ain't my first rodeo. The whole thing was highly unceremonious and insulting. To be fair, I had dumped him the previous summer in an equally unceremonious and insulting fashion, perhaps he was just getting even. We got back together nine months later for a short two months which fortunately resulted in Nappy meeting her future husband the Rock Star. I have always figured that was a fair sacrifice since he's so great and she's so happy with him, I am lucky to have him for a brother-in-law. But I digress. The Musician's message to me had all the elements of a ninth step amends which made me jump for gleeful joy at the prospect that he might have turned over a new leaf. The boy was a wreck back then; I can only imagine how much worse it could have gotten. He left a cell phone number but said it wouldn't be turned on for a couple of days. As you can imagine I have been obsessively calling the number only to get the generic cell phone lady's voice telling me the cellular customer I was trying to reach is currently unavailable. For Pete's sake man, you can't drop a bomb on my voicemail like that and not leave a way for me to reach you! Well today I finally got wise and sent him a text message; I figured he would get it as soon as his cell phone was finally working. Lo and behold he called me back, I about fell out of my desk chair. We talked for about ten minutes in which I gleaned that he is probably sober (he used the word "amends") and he's single, employed and living with his brother and two nieces. He also told me he's suffering from Gulf War syndrome for which the V.A. is treating him. It is heartbreaking to think of the suffering he has endured as a result of being in the military, a choice he made to escape an abusive stepdad and ostensibly to pay for college. I am going to call him back tonight when we can talk longer and we’re going to make a plan to meet in person. I cannot explain to you the feelings I am now having about having this man pop back into my life out of the clear blue sky and apologize for the way he treated me. That is something I had given up on a long time ago. I have to say, I’m pretty excited about it!

No comments: