Jul 7, 2006

their emails

In case you're interested, I thought I would post Dr. Telch's and his assistant's emails to me.

Hers:
"I am so very sorry. I am new to scheduling patients for Dr. Telch, and I assumed that you knew that you were being scheduled to see him as a private patient. Most of his patients are very pleased when they find out that he treats them in his home rather than his office at the University of Texas. They have found it to be a very private and relaxing environment. Dr. Telch is sending you some information, but if I can do anything at all to help you please let me know. Once again, I am so sorry. I take full responsibility for the misunderstanding. Please feel free to call me if you have any questions."

His:

"I apologize for the misunderstanding and feel bad that I made you feel so uncomfortable. I think you sensed my frustration at Christine for not clarifying this with you. Christine - my assistant is new and she led me to believe that you understood you were seeing me for a private consultation. I have spent time reviewing your evaluation and you obviously can definitely use some expert help. I am attaching an educational handout that we give our study participants. You may find this helpful as a starter. I can check with my staff to see if there is room for you in the next UT treatment group. The advantage of that is that it is free, the disadvantage is that it is a group treatment and therefore does not allow the specific individual tailoring. The therapists are advanced students who have been trained by me to perform the panic treatment. In order to participate in that, you would still need to come in to my office at the University and complete a face-to-face interview. Based on your test scores online, my guess is that you'll pass the interview and be eligible to take part in the study. Keep in mind that we have a very powerful non-medication treatment for panic. There are some other less expensive private alternatives as well if you do not want to jump through the hoops of a university-based program, I can probably get one of my doctoral students to give you the treatment one-on-one at UT at a significantly reduced fee. Sorry again for the misunderstanding! Don't hesitate to call me if you have any questions."

No comments: